fbpx

Farming is hard – 6/8 hive check

Today we went out to check the hives and see where we’re at. Jake’s friend “A” was with us to help out. Our goal was to remove the top feeder from Unimatrix Zero and put Ba-bee-lonia on a hive stand with the legs in oil moats to keep the ants away.  Also we wanted to remove the pollen patties that we put in (since the bees didn’t want them) and if they were moving up into the deep supers.

We checked Ba-bee-lonia and almost immediately saw we still had issues with this hive. For starters there was a supersedure right in the middle of frame 4 and there were a TON of drones.  I think if I were a real beekeeper I’d shake out that hive and be done with it… but I’m not.  We’ll see if their soon-to-bee new queen succeeds.

We then moved to tardis (it is bigger on the inside).  This hive is awesome.  There was a bunch of burr comb full of honey between the brood chamber and the deep super.  I scraped that off after taking off the super.  The center frames on the super were being drawn out.  We spotted the queen on frame 4 as she was looking for an open cell to lay an egg in.  After spotting the queen, we closed up the hive.

Finally we looked at Unimatrix Zero.  This hive showed growth but also hadn’t expanded to the super yet.  “A” spotted the queen on frame 6.

6/9 Update

Checked on Ba-bee-lonia and there were no ants.  I looked inside of Tardis and it was TEEMING with carpenter ants.  They just moved next door! I moated the last two hives.  Will check again tomorrow for ants.

Bee's out on a pretty day