6/29 Hive Check

We did a full hive check today with the 4-H group. The group setup 3 smokers and put on their gear.  We talked about the goals for the hive checks (is ba-bee-lonia going to fail, how well built out are the other hives and clean up and burr comb).
We were also joined by Jakes friend Matthew who was observing.

We opened up ba-bee-lonia and although it was mostly drones and no sign of a laying queen we did see a queen cell.  So we decided to let it go to see what happens.

Tardis (it’s bigger on the inside)This hive looks great we spotted the queen on the 4th frame and the bees are drawing out comb on the deep super and filling it with honey and pollen.  We’ll wait a week and then most likely we’ll add a honey super to it.

Unimatrix ZeroLots of comb and brood.  Everything looks good but we didn’t see the queen and we did spot a queen cell.  This weekend we’ll take a very close look at this hive.  If we don’t see eggs, and the queen cell hasn’t opened we’ll look at ordering a new queen.

Squatter

squatterFriend of a friend Matt is now squatting at our Apiary.  The public beeyard he was in is shutting down.  His girls will finish out the season in Gordon’s Woods.

Hive Check 6/15.

We opened Ba-Bee-Lonia and saw one of the supersedure cells had been torn open.  We went through the frams and caught a glimps of a new queen.  We didn’t see any eggs or brood so she is either a virgin or newly mated.  We’ll check next week to see if she’s laying.

 

 

Farming is hard – 6/8 hive check

Today we went out to check the hives and see where we’re at. Jake’s friend “A” was with us to help out. Our goal was to remove the top feeder from Unimatrix Zero and put Ba-bee-lonia on a hive stand with the legs in oil moats to keep the ants away.  Also we wanted to remove the pollen patties that we put in (since the bees didn’t want them) and if they were moving up into the deep supers.

We checked Ba-bee-lonia and almost immediately saw we still had issues with this hive. For starters there was a supersedure right in the middle of frame 4 and there were a TON of drones.  I think if I were a real beekeeper I’d shake out that hive and be done with it… but I’m not.  We’ll see if their soon-to-bee new queen succeeds.

We then moved to tardis (it is bigger on the inside).  This hive is awesome.  There was a bunch of burr comb full of honey between the brood chamber and the deep super.  I scraped that off after taking off the super.  The center frames on the super were being drawn out.  We spotted the queen on frame 4 as she was looking for an open cell to lay an egg in.  After spotting the queen, we closed up the hive.

Finally we looked at Unimatrix Zero.  This hive showed growth but also hadn’t expanded to the super yet.  “A” spotted the queen on frame 6.

6/9 Update

Checked on Ba-bee-lonia and there were no ants.  I looked inside of Tardis and it was TEEMING with carpenter ants.  They just moved next door! I moated the last two hives.  Will check again tomorrow for ants.

Bee's out on a pretty day