5/26 Hive check

Today we decided to add the deep supers to the hive bottoms and give them a little feed to try to egg them on.  Pretty sure if they don’t get building there won’t be a chance of us getting any honey.

Hive #1 -Ba-Bee-Lonia

It still has a lot of drone cells and although we didn’t see the queen I saw a lot of cells with single eggs dropped right in the middle.  We also say a LOT of ants.  We’ll keep an eye on it.

Hive #2 – (Tardis)

This hive is in awesome shape. The brood chamber is about 60% built out.  Spotted the queen on frame 3 doing her royal duty

Hive #3 – (Unimatrix Zero)

This is the hive we started from the nuc.  Looks like it’s going to be big hot mess #2.  When I installed it I saw a hive beetle and wax moth larvae.  More alarming was a single supersedure cell.  I wans’t two worried because a queen was probably introduced to the hive after the split.  But when I opened it today I saw two more so I’m thinking the girls are trying to make a new queen for a reason.  Other than that they are building out quite nicely.

I fed pollen patties to all three hives to try to get them to the top of the deep supers.

Hive #3 the Wisconsin Adventure

I picked up the nucleus hive just outside of Green Bay today.  A nucleus hive or “Nuc” is a mini beehive – queen, drawn comb with honey, pollen and brood and a little over 10,000 bees.  At some point during my 3 hour drive home the Nuc sprang a leak.  So about 20 of the bees were riding up front with me.  I pulled over at the Mars Cheese Castle opened the trunk and taped that sucker back up.  Good times.

When I got home I was in a big hurry and went to grab the nuc out of my car.  When I did I squished a bee with my thumb…  Now I’ve been stung twice.

The pictures below were from the installation process

Nucleus hive

Nucleus Hive on the bottom board waiting for the weather to clear enough to install.

nuc2

Pulled the middle five frames to make room for the cuc

 

nuc3

Girls taking a flight from their new home

Bee Club meeting #3

We all met up on Saturday at 2pm.  We learned about diseases and pests that effect the hives.  Then we put on protective gear, lit all three smokers and hit the bee yard.

We went through our first hive (Ba-bee-lonia) and saw comb, pollen and brood from frame 3.5 to frame 8.  Really odd looking comb.  We saw a LOT of drone cells and some worker cells (capped) so we’re really not sure if we have a laying worker or a good queen.  We went through the hive twice but didn’t see her.  Almost everyone practiced pulling a frame and inspecting it.

Next we went through Jamestown and spotted the queen on frame 4.  Good brood patterns and some pollen and un capped honey.

Pictures to follow



Eggs, Larvae, Honey & Pollen

Did a quick hive check with the boys and on our first hive (From this day forward to be known as Ba-bee-lonia) we saw all the best stuff – eggs, larvae un-capped honey and pollen. We started to see drawn out comb starting at frame 2 but wasn’t drawn out enough to be useable until we got to about frame 4.  We didn’t see the queen and stopped when we saw eggs and larvae (it was in the upper 50’s and I wanted to keep it short).

Halfway through the hive check Jake announced in a very calm voice “Dad.. I literally have a bee in my bonnet”.  Sure enough, somehow one of the girls got under his veil.  We stopped everything and gently removed her from her prison.

The larvae were pretty far along so I’m hoping we didn’t get a laying worker from the queen’s absence.  We’ll see if we can determine what’s up when we do a full-on hive check next weekend with the 4-H class.

The newer stronger hive (Jamestown) Had eggs, pollen and honey.  We didn’t see any brood but stopped after we saw the queen and eggs since at that point we knew everything was OK.

I noticed some mold starting to grow above the top feeder of ba-bee-lonia and will address that as soon as it warms up.  Since nectar is starting to flow the bees are not taking a lot of syrup anyway.  Probably time to remove the top feeders anyway.

Queen and Massive Changes

Ok.. so it’s been awhile since I posted but in the last 24 hours crazy stuff has happened on Gordon’s Farm.

The queen we ordered on the 25th never showed up so in seeking advice, the apiary we used for the first package offered us a replacement package with a new queen at wholesale prices. Keep in mind, at this time of year, there are NO bees to be had anywhere. So yea Long Lane!!

No sooner than I agreed and hung up the phone, after 8 days in the mail, our replacement queen arrived alive!! I’m not holding out a lot of hope for the first hive but since she arrived we put her in.

I drove downstate and picked up the new package and installed it in the 2nd hive. So when all is said and done, we may finish the summer with 3 hives instead of two! I’m excited to get the Nuc on the 18th and install it with my 4-H group
jakengirls

2hives